When You Memorize Music, You Mesmerize the Audience
Memorizing music enables you to play and interpret music in a more confident, creative and relaxed manner. When you perform, a music stand is no longer a visual barrier between you and your audience. This enables better communication and interaction to occur between the performer and the audience.
This message is not only true of for music students memorizing a piece for a recital or concert but it is essential for any professional musician. Think about it, how often do you ever see a rock concert, or performer with sheet music on the piano or in front of them? Rarely, if not ever. It is part of the mystic and magic of musical performers, just how do they do that? It is how they mesmerize their audience.
Memorizing music for many is not easy, for others it just comes natural, but it does take time. Once you obtain this skill you are one step further in advancing your journey as a musician. Below are some tips to help you memorize music.
Techniques in Memorizing Music
- Break the music down into small increments such as one- and two measure segments. Don’t go on until they are solidified. Keep progressing in a similar manner.
- Visualize the music. Don’t just memorize with muscle memory as that is an imperfect system by itself.
- Memorize the harmonic (chordal) progression as well as the melody.
- Simulate performing the music technically without actually playing your instrument. The music must be secured within the mind above all.
- Sing the music to yourself before actually playing it. Then repeat the process as often as necessary.
- Audio-and videotape yourself performing the music. Then study it and retain it.
- Consider memorizing in reverse order. Work backwards.
- Maintain the memorized music by playing it often enough to keep it fresh and current within your repertoire. Don’t be forced to relearn what you’ve already learned.
- Once memorized, don’t allow yourself to ever use a music stand as a “crutch.” That’s a cop out and it invalidates all your hard memorizing preparation.
- Play the memorized music with distractions–TV on; people talking; etc. It may help you remain focused during problematic moments within a concert.
Do you have any tips that have worked for you? If so please add them below to add to the list.